Summary of changes:
The new policy applies to peer-reviewed research articles, including reviews and conference papers, which acknowledge funding from UKRI or any of its councils* and are submitted for publication with a journal or publishing platform on or after April 1st 2022.
- Must be Open Access immediately upon publication;
- Must be published with a CC BY licence (CC BY ND only by exception);
- Must include a Data Access Statement, even where there are no data associated with the article or the data are inaccessible;
- That acknowledge MRC and BBSRC funding must be archived in Europe PubMed Central.
Ways to ensure your article complies:
1. Publish in a fully Open Access journal and apply for the cost of the Article Processing Charge to be covered by the UKRI block grant, administered by the Research Outputs Team in the Library.
2. Publish in any journal for which the University of Portsmouth has a transformative or ‘Read and Publish’ agreement; details of these can be found here.
3. Publish in a subscription journal, ensuring that you (a) insert the text below in the funding acknowledgement section of the manuscript and any cover letter/note accompanying your submission and (b) deposit your Author Accepted Manuscript into Pure where the manuscript will be made openly available upon publication:
‘For the purpose of open access, the author has applied a CC BY public copyright licence (where permitted by UKRI, ‘Open Government Licence’ or ‘CC BY-ND public copyright licence’ may be stated instead) to any Author Accepted Manuscript version arising
For further help and information, please contact the Research Outputs Team on Openaccess@port.ac.uk
*The UKRI’s 9 research councils are: Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Innovate UK (IUK), Medical Research Council (MRC), Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), Research England (RE), Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).